On Friday, I had some dear friends over for dinner. These are girls I was in high school choir with, one of whom I haven't seen in almost 15 years. It was like no time had passed at all. Of course, we all looked a bit different, and of course things in our lives had changed since we were 17, but it was so easy to immediately pick up where we left off.
High school choir is really the only time in my life where I've been completely comfortable. I'm not a social butterfly, but those years were different for me. I was so at home with those friends that I literally didn't care what anyone outside of our group of friends thought.
Since I came back from college, I've managed to drift further apart from these friends. Some had children and their lives took such a drastic turn from mine that it was hard to keep up. Some moved and it was more of a hassle to meet up. I could think of an excuse for every friend I lost touch with, but what it all comes down to is, I got lazy. And the internet fueled that. I am a great email/twitter/facebook friend, but a terrible one away from the computer.
So my Thanksgiving Resolution (what, I can't have one?) is to actively become a friend again. I'm going to make sure I see Shelley, and Laura, and Amanda, and Stacie, etc ,etc etc in REAL LIFE, as much as I can, even if it's just to meet for coffee.
- Hoorays:
- Walked more than 10 miles last week! This beat my goal by more than 3 miles!
- Found a pair of sneakers that don't hurt my feet! They are not a great pair of shoes by any stretch of the imagination, but they will do until I can afford the ones I want.
- Started to do the Slim in 6 workouts to ramp up for the P90X challenge in January. I am so out of shape.
- I haven't had a soda since I joined Mamavation. I honestly don't miss them.
- Needs some work:
- More water!
- I need to plan my meals better.
- Specific Goals:
- Walk at least 10 miles this week in addition to water aerobics and yoga.
- Not eat myself into a coma on Thanksgiving.
- My Subway Commit2Fit goal is to walk/run a 5k in the spring. I've never entered one, and it's time.
Congratulations to Heather for Sista of the Week! See you all later tonight for Mamavation TV!!
You and I are running a 5K TOGETHER in the Spring! That's FINAL :)
ReplyDeleteand I think you are a WONDERFUL friend and am so glad we reconnected!
and what do you mean we look different?! maybe Laura, but I'm pretty sure that you and me and Stacie ALL look Exactly the same LOL! ok, maybe a little different ;)
So glad you found some shoes that work for you because I REALLY REALLY enjoy our walks together! I'll miss ya this friday - that'll make 2 weeks and I'll be going through withdrawl by the 3rd :)
Thanks again for hosting dinner on Friday. I was EXACTLY what I needed to hang on to my sanity :) You are wonderful!
good luck on your goals you have the same goals i do in that to get in 10-20 miles in a week, so far i did 18 this last week miles to cycling and walking. 5k walks are fun I've done 3 of them this year with my fastest time this summer at 46 minutes.
ReplyDeletewhat is the slim in 6 like, I'm thinking of getting the Slim in 6 express to do for this winter ?
This is a beautiful resolution! I am happy to read that you are reconnecting with these friends (and I imagine some light-hearted part of yourself as well). Congrats on no soda, get that water in though. Add a slice of lemon to make it special. Have a wonderful Tgiving.
ReplyDelete