Monday, August 22, 2011

My Journey Through Infertility So Far: Part 1 of Whoknowshowmany

The facts of the case:

I have always wanted to be a mother. I expected to be a mother. I was one of those girls that had baby dolls into my preteen years. I have always looked forward to having children, and to being pregnant in particular.

When my husband and I got married, we were 30 years old. Plenty of time, we told ourselves, and we were in no hurry. About 2 years ago we decided it was time for me to get my IUD removed. We were 33 at the time. We weren't "actively" trying to the point where I was tracking ovulation, scheduling sex, blah blah blah, we just weren't using any birth control anymore. I honestly expected to be pregnant within months.

I wasn't. About a year went by, and I started to research infertility issues. The more I read, the more I was certain that I had PCOS. And my doctors had never mentioned it over the years, the bitches. The only symptom I *don't* have is irregular periods. So with the tentative diagnosis, I've started making changes to hopefully boost our chances of conceiving.

The diet was the first to change, for both myself and my husband. We cut way back on the sugars, processed foods, and 'white' foods. I have blood work scheduled to see how bad the insulin resistance is, as well as what other hormone imbalances there may be, so I don't have any medications yet.

So, here I am now, 35 years old, officially 'advanced maternal age'. And still not pregnant. The clock is ticking louder and louder, and every month that goes by is more painful than the last. We have not had the big 'what do we do now' conversation, so we haven't seriously discussed any medical interventions like IVF, or other options like surrogacy or adoption yet. When the blood work and ultrasounds are in, then we'll know more what we're dealing with.

In the meantime, I have tried very hard to keep our intimate relationship healthy. I don't ever want my husband to feel like he's just a means to an end. We have sex because we love each other, and because we want to, not for the sole purpose of baby making. Exploring intimacy is a healthy part of any relationship, if only to keep things new and fresh. For me personally, I have always been rather shy about sex, and so my husband recognizes that when I am open and free with him in bed, it is really a demonstration of the trust I have in him.

This post is sponsored by Eden Fantasys and I’m writing this to be entered into a giveaway hosted by Mamavation.

7 comments:

  1. Huge hugs for you! If you ever need an ear or a shoulder, know that we're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I know know there was another sista that didn't have kids? Please know that you're not the only one! If you ever need someone to vent to about PCOS and insulin resistance and all the crap that comes with it, I'm your girl. Sending you love, hugs and clarity with everything. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica I'm gonna pray for you and your husband. You will make a wonderful mother! I have no doubt you will always keep your future baby laughing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica I love you dearly and am so happy we met in real life. As a mom to 4 unexpected & unplanned kids (doctors told me I would have no kids) I know I've been blessed and I'm praying you will be also because I feel in my heart you are an amazing mom even if they aren't here yet.

    I lost a lot of weight watching my carb intake which helped the insulin resistance issue they mentioned in the post to me. I've always had a difficult time in that department until this last baby I've never list the weight. Its irritating the things doctors don't tell you that affect the rest of your life.

    Big hugs, prayers, and lots of love. Let me know if you want some of the food tips I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs, I wish drs would listen and look better just because you don't have every symptom doesn't mean you don't have the issue. Just know we are always here if you need anything

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you. more than words can say. And I wish I could wave a magic wand and fix it because of all the people who should have kids and be parents, I can't think of any who deserve it more than you and Anthony. And I've known you two forever, so I can say that. so, while I can't wave my magic wand, how 'bout a coffee date where we can review the "textbook" and while I can't promise conception, you guys will have fun trying :) not that you aren't already... I mean... wait... this comment just got weird but you know me so you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about your fertility issues. My husband had a reversal three years ago and we still haven't got pregnant. I have no advice. Just know, I understand. *hugs*

    Laura Lohr | My Beautiful Life
    http://www.lauralohr.com

    ReplyDelete