Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ten on Tuesday - February 15, 2011

Since I ended up going to the hospital last night (will explain in a sec) instead of writing my Mamavation Monday post, I thought I'd just go ahead and do a Ten on Tuesday post instead.

1. Classes started yesterday, and although I did give myself a head start by beginning my reading early, I'm already feeling the pressure of trying to take 3 classes in 12 weeks. I really want to finish up this degree in December though.

2. The weather outside has been gorgeous for the past few days. I am excited to get out of the house and back to my regular walking routine. Even though we have pretty mild winters here in Texas, all things considered, I am a puss, and don't like to brave the elements if it's less than 55 degrees or so.

3. Phoebe has been feeling the effects of less walking too. We switched her over to a new food last month to try and help her itchy skin (it has no wheat, corn, soy, or other grains) and she ballooned up 11 pounds in 6 weeks!  She was petite to begin with, so it's not a huge deal, but the higher protein and fat content of this new food will make it more important for her to get her exercise too.

4.  My brother called last night and said he was taking my 4 year old nephew Vinny Paul to the ER thinking he may have appendicitis. The hospital here ambulanced him to Dell Children's Hospital in Austin, and after many many hours (really only 6 or so, but it seemed like forever) of testing and observation, they diagnosed him with a nasty stomach virus combined with gas, so thankfully no surgery needed.

5.  Ben (the aforementioned brother) had appendicitis when he was 18, only the hospital here diagnosed him with a prostate infection, so he laid in his hospital bed for 3 days with a ruptured appendix, poisoning himself. He was very close to dying, and so it's understandable for us to freak out a little bit when appendicitis is suspected.

6.  I have been mulling over beginning a new degree after this one is finished. I've been doing a lot of reading about midwifery, and I know I would be excellent at it. There are two options, direct entry, which is mostly hands on training, apprenticeship, etc, or Certified Nurse Midwife, which requires an RN degree. I'm looking for education and training options, and hunting down local midwives to talk to about it.

7.  I totally slacked off on P90X last week. No particular reason, just being lazy I suppose. Back on track this week!

8.  I can't wait for the Mamavation Meetup in June! It will be here in Austin, so that is even more awesomer. Yes, awesomer. Deal with it.

9. Back to the studying! I'll probably be a little scarce on Twitter until I get back into a rhythm with school.

10.

4 comments:

  1. I love your 10 and I'm so happy to hear that your nephew is going to be ok. Jump right back in. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jump back in, with both feet, and you will soar! I can understand your families concern for appendicitis. I went undiagnosed for 3 months with it and it ruptured and my insides were a mess, I was really sick. That is part of the reason I became a nurse. To advocate for my patients, when they feel they are not heard, like I was at the age of 21. Best wishes with figuring out your next degree. Personally, Certified Nurse Midwife is a good direction. More coverage in the hospitals and not as risky with insurance as the other option. Again, just my opinion. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't noticed, I'm a bad friend again... totally catching up on my comments and trying to see what all my peeps are up to. I'm SOOOO glad to hear that it wasn't appendicitis... Very scary :( You are a machine when it comes to school... Hopefully I'll finish my FIRST one before you jump into your what, 3rd? LOL! Love ya bunches :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just came across your blog :) its sooo cue! you have some really good insight on your posts! xoxo cant wait to read more of what you write!

    ReplyDelete