I started the Couch to 5k training program last week. On Wednesday (day 2 of the program), I went over to the track by our house to run. If you're not familiar with C25K, it's an interval training program, and week one is run one minute, walk 90 seconds, repeat for 20 minutes or so. I loaded up Pandora on my phone and went to work. I did walk through two of the run intervals, but when I did run, I ran all the way through the minute. I know this sounds silly for those of you that are runners, but let me assure you, I am NOT a runner. I probably haven't run on purpose since 10th grade when I had to take P.E., and that was a LONG time ago. I was so proud of myself! Not only did I NOT DIE, I felt really good afterwards!
I've been admiring Shelley's Earth Footwear on our weekly walks. She says she can really feel the difference in her legs and butt when she walks. I so want some of these shoes. It's so hot here in Texas, I really doubt I'd ever really have an opportunity to wear the boots, but the Exer-Walks and the Exer-Treks look awesome!
Phoebe went with us again on Saturday when we hiked (over 9 miles this time!!!), and she carried our water and snacks. I think she likes the backpack. Or at least she doesn't fuss and try to forcibly remove the backpack, which means she must like it!
Those are my husband's little chicken legs, by the way.
What happened this week:
- Hoorays:
- Started C25K
- Walked 20 miles last week!!!!!
- Started to do some faster walks, shaved a minute and a half off my per mile pace.
- Needs some work:
- Have to stop the random eating out. This is mostly facilitated by my husband, but I need to start putting my foot down to eat at home more.
- Specific Goals:
- Continue with C25k week 1, and get through the session without cheating by walking through a run interval.
Congratulations to Megan (@mnmspecial) for being Sista of the Week! See everyone Monday night for Mamavation TV!

Yum those muffins sound good! Are they a decent size or are they like a cupcake size?
ReplyDeleteI think doggies like to be useful. She looks really happy!!
It's so great that you're challenging and surprising yourself!! I don't love running either, but it's a great gauge of fitness. Amazing 20 miles and on shaving your time! Woohoo!
Good luck this week!
MMMMmmm those sound yummy - do you think they'd bake well into a cake? Its my hubby's b-day this week and I'd love to trick him into eating "healthy" cake ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the C25K this week - getting started takes a ton of courage!
have a great week!
BTW - cute doggie! Which breed is she? I had a rottweiler named Molly who passed away a month ago.
you had me at "chocolate" and "baked goods" ... Heather is great, isn't she? I will so have to try those this week!!
ReplyDeleteGood for you on the C25K.. I want to get to that point, but it's my first week in a very long time so I am going to take leah's advise and start with "baby steps"
Look forward to tweeting with you and supporting ya.
@ThereIsMoreToMe on twitter
ThereIsMoreToMe.com
I love our walks! And Phoebe is such a darling :) I'm so proud of you for all of your progress and the brownie muffin was quite yummy so thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteNot silly at all! I remember starting to run and how tough it was. I'll be "re-starting" this week since I am coming off an injury and haven't been able to run. I need to ease back into it.
ReplyDeleteSo glad the Brownie Muffins were good! They are awesome when that craving hits!!
My husband an and I are the same way. I love the sweets and he doesn't. I think this sounds like a good way to curb the cravings. I am so jealous that you have Shelly there by your side. I wish I was living closer already, but your heat comment has me cowering in fear because 30 is our high right now. Good luck with the C25K.
ReplyDeleteThose muffins sound great, I am going to have to try those next time I am craving chocolaty goodness.
ReplyDeleteAwesome on the Couch to 5K!!! You will not regret it, you will slowly feel more confident and before long, you will view yourself as a runner! Awesome!
Definitely have to try those muffins. I heart me some chocolate and pumpkin goodness!
ReplyDeleteI love that you and Shelley are able to hook up and go walking together. What a great encouragement to each other you can be, both on Twitter and IRL. I think that's great accountability.
You are kicking it - I mean the workout.
ReplyDeleteHow are you with dark chocolate? If you get the really good bitter chocolate like 70-80% cocoa, You can't eat much of it and it totally feeds the chocolate hunger
Mmm... the recipe sounds perfect. I am a baked good lover as well. Yeah, it is a problem when I am trying to lose weight.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on starting the C25K & Best of luck! I would love to know where you found the program? Is it on Mamavation? I want to start running myself. I will be anxiously waiting to see how well you do. Rock it!
I keep seeing people talk about pumpkin in cake mix. I've got some in the pantry, that's on the baking list for the week.
ReplyDeletePhoebe is adorable, what a fun walking companion. I wish my dogs could carry my stuff.
Good luck with the C25K. I'm starting a 10K training today. Isn't it motivating to have a plan?
Have a great week!
Love the way you breakdown your successes and challenges for the week. I love my Earth shoes too. Wish I made the call. I was feeling really sick last night.
ReplyDeletePhoebe is adorable. Congrats on starting C25K. Congrats on winning the Earth Footwear last night. Good job with the exercise. And good luck on putting your foot down with your husband and the eating out.
ReplyDeleteyour doggy is adorable and good luck with the walking so proud of you for that keep up the great work
ReplyDeletelorrie
http://150by40.wordpress.com